Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Patience, Dear Readers, Patience

    






I guess, by now most of you (people who read my blog once in a while) know I write across the genres of romance. I'm on my third historical western, my fourth supernatural, and my third adult contemporary novel. These are my favorite type of stories so these are what I daydream about and end up putting on paper and eventually I will publish it.

      Now, here's my thing right here; do readers have a problem with that? According to some Facebook readers/writers, I need to pick a genre and stick with it. Why? Because they say it is hard to support a self-published writer who might only manage to get around to publishing a story  in the genre they want to read once a year if they are lucky. Really? Is it that serious? Do they expect the same of traditional authors? Are these readers really only reading one genre of fiction? Does it make sense to expect a writer to only produce one type of work? 
     Personally, I'd be bored out of my head reading only about witches and werewolves, because I sure would get tired of only writing about them. So I mix it up a bit for my own enjoyment and creativity. If I don't love it, I can't expect any reader to even like it.
     Someone suggested I use a pen name for each genre I wish to dabble my hand. I think that is a bit out there. I love my name and the way it looks on a book cover and I want everyone to know it was Sandra Hall that wrote Fine Lines, and not some made up Ann Marie Banes, whom I'd have to make up a fake author's biography. It was hard enough deciding what to include in my real biography. Don't mention websites, blogs, Facebook and Twitter! I just don't have time for fake stuff. Power to those that do.
     I know people hate waiting. I sure hated waiting ten years for Stephen King to finish the Dark Tower series, even though he was continually publishing other stuff that I ran out like a junkie to buy. I still wanted the next Dark Tower novel in my hot, little, shaking hands as soon as possible.
      I wish I could please everyone, but before I can please one reader, I have to please myself first with the content I'm putting down on paper or laptop screen.  I can't force it out on demand and enjoy the experience. Some writers can, I can't. For me, writing is a craft of love and patience. Being self-published gives me the freedom to be creative in the way it comes to me. If I'm thinking of demons fighting dragons, I'm going to write about demons fighting dragons.
      So, if you prefer my westerns over my supernaturals the best way to get me to get another western out quickly is to let me know how much you like them. Don't threaten to desert me, or make me feel bad if I don't. Just know I'm trying very hard to get this work done in a timely fashion, genre by genre, just for you, my dear beloved readers. 
     

2 comments:

  1. Great blog post, Sandra! Variety is the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that's true. Thanks for taking time to read this, Cathy, and for leaving a comment. Don't get them very often.

    ReplyDelete

Lovers These Are For You!